Monday, March 31, 2008

I Quit!

Since mid-February I've known that this is not the job for me. The people I work with are great, the kids are generally great, but it just isn't a well-designed position and I hate all of the insurance work. The question became, then, how to quit.

At this point I already knew I was pregnant (we found out on Superbowl Sunday, for those who are counting). I've never had a real post-licensure job before, and I've never quit a job in my life. I initially wanted to give only 3 months notice* and to blame my quitting on my pregnancy. Fortunately, I have wise friends, and I am wise enough myself to listen to them.

I waited until my 3 month review earlier this month to break the news. Per my wise friends, I started out by effusively thanking my boss for taking a chance on a newly licensed psychologist with no prior experience with eating disorders. I talked about all the things I love about the job (which are many), then launched into a reasoned critique of the things with the position that I believe are real problems. To my boss's immense credit (she is really awesome) she was very on-board with all of my criticisms and asked my permission to pass the feedback on up the food chain.

All of that took about 50 minutes. Then I told her I was pregnant. It was very hard, and I did tell one lie: I let her think it was an accidental pregnancy. Well, I didn't know we'd get pregnant in 5 minutes, did I? So that part was... unexpected, at the very least. She was very excited for me, and we agreed that this isn't a job that can be broken down to part-time; as that is the case, she was sad but supportive of my decision to leave. I'll be staying through the end of July, which works nicely for me as it gives me 2 months (more than I need) to prepare for the baby, while also allowing me not to be unemployed all summer. So that's the plan!

*3 months may sound like a long time, but to fill a very specific professional position like this it is really a necessary amount of time. Legally I could ditch them in 2 weeks, but I really want a good reference and to leave on a good note, so I would never do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home