Monday, October 30, 2006

San Diegoriffic

I'll admit it: I was dreading the family wedding that Captain Awesome and I attended this weekend in San Diego. While there are no actual problems between the in-laws and me, I do have some sincere reservations about certain members of the Awesome tribe, and generally don't cry when we aren't invited over for Christmas.

The wedding was for 4pm, so the Capt. and I showed up around 3. We took a lovely stroll along the waterfront, as the Capt's cousin had the good sense to get married on a lovely afternoon on Mission Bay. By 3:45, the sound guy was the only other person apparently attending this wedding besides us. It was decidedly odd. It's like the entire world had rescheduled via telepathy, without informing us.

Slowly, slowly, Awesomes began to arrive. We meeted and greeted and were seated, and then waited... and waited... Around 5pm I believe the wedding actually did begin; however, the guests were so disgruntled/amused at this point that there was a dull murmer of commentary and snipy banter throughout. The Australian Merchant Marine (or "Captain Aussie") gave his clearly pre-packaged wedding service that generically referred to the love of the bride and groom and their future. Vows, kisses, open bar!

The caterer, apparently also in tune with the psychic loop that the Capt. and I were shut out of, was several hours late, meaning that we were all flying high by the time the hors d'oevres began making their appearance around 7pm. Dinner was at about a timely 7:45, at which point no one was waiting for the head table to be excused, toasts were cut short, and there was a beline for the over-steamed cauliflower and dry rolls.

Lest it sound like I am being too snarky, allow me to say that I had a lovely time meeting some new Awesome relatives, dancing with Granddad Awesome, and that the green appletini buzz I had going made conversing with Stepmom Awesome a tolerable experience. It's fun to be an observer/participant in large family functions like this where I have the out of "well, it's not really my family" when it gets to be too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home